Friday, August 30, 2013

That Fateful Day When My MPC Ceased to Function


After four years of continuous use my Akai MPC 2500 recently began showing signs of malfunction and quickly became unusable. The first symptom I noticed was false triggering of certain pads when recording, and then an inability to switch Programs from the MAIN screen. Shortly thereafter, Pads 3 through 8 became erratic and ultimately unresponsive.

After disassembling the unit and taking a guess at what might be failing, I ordered a replacement Sensitronics pressure sensor from mpcstuff.com and hoped for the best.  A couple of days later I was ready to roll the dice on DIY diagnosis and repair.  I installed the new hardware with the help of a friend, powered up the unit, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the device once again functioned as normal.

In an era where "planned obsolescence" is arguably the norm, I was pleased to encounter an OEM demonstrating a respectable level of "design for repairability".  Hats off to Akai and mpcstuff.com... 

No comments:

Post a Comment